I’ll start off by confessing that I don’t have any particular dog in the fight for Sunday’s Super Bowl. This means that my primary interest for that day will be in the food associated with the game. In that spirit, I’d love to share one of Tricia’s all-time favorite appetizers that has quickly become one of mine. This Hot Chili Queso Dip that is impossible to stop eating once you start – believe me, I’ve tried. Bubbling right out of the oven and full of cheeses, sausage, green chilis and tomatoes, this one is hard to beat. Add your favorite salty chips and hover over the baking dish to make sure you get every last bite.
Ingredients are simple…cook and crumble some of your favorite sausage (we use chicken), grab a can of diced green chilies, a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis, a package of cream cheese and shred some sharp cheddar. Done. Here’s the cool part though – use spicy sausage if you like, and throw some jalapeños in if you want a spicier dip. You’re driving, so do what you like best. How about some Jack cheese with the Cheddar?
Everything gets combined and poured into a baking dish, then baked until cheese is melted and dip is bubbly.
Grab some of your favorite chips, hide in the kitchen while everybody else is watching the game, and dive in head first.
Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Hope you enjoy!! xoxxo
- 1-pound ground chicken sausage (your choice of flavors)
- 1 (14-15 ounce can) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- Chopped jalapeno peppers to taste (Optional)
- 1 (8 ounce package) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1-½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or a combination of Jack and Cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh tomatoes for garnish (Optional)
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, breaking into small pieces, until done. Drain off any excess fat but leave chicken in skillet.
- Add the canned tomatoes, can of chilies and cream cheese to skillet and warm through until cream cheese is melted.
- Pour into a greased, one-quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Before serving, top with chopped fresh tomatoes if you decided to use them.
- Try hard not to push anybody to the ground to get the first bite with your favorite chips.