Here is yet another masterpiece from my Sis. Before she pointed out – none too tactfully – that the way I made Guacamole pretty much sucked, I was content to mash up some avocados and add a couple of squirts of lime juice. Once I tasted her Guacamole, there was no turning back. This is the best I’ve ever tried, and I’m not just saying that because she’s my sister. Rich with ripe avocado, brightened with lime juice, the spiced with just the right amount of habanero chili, cilantro, and green onion. This guacamole is the perfect side dish to a Mexican feast, or on the other hand you could just hide in a room with a bag of chips and eat the whole batch all by yourself. By the way, feel free to change up the amount of cilantro, garlic, and habanero to suit your own taste – it will just be all the better that way.
Grab you avocados – they should be just ripe enough so if you press down on them, they give to light pressure. Then cut them in half, get that pit out of there (here you see Sis demonstrating her samurai skills in pit removal – I do not recommend using this type of sword-like knife if you are the least bit squeamish about losing a finger), and scoop out the luscious insides.
The avocado is then sliced and placed into a bowl, and give some big squeezes of fresh lime juice. At this point, you will notice that Sis is wearing kitchen gloves. This is a good idea because she will soon be handling habanero peppers, and they do not kid around if you happen to rub your eye and get that chili fire in there. She has learned this the hard way.
Now it’s time for everything else… Green onion, fresh garlic, habanero peppers, and salt get added to the mix.
Get your fork and start mashing – be sure not to get too crazy with the mashing idea, and to leave some nice chunks of avocado in there for texture.
And there you have it. On a plate with enchiladas, with a chip, or just by the spoonful. You choose. Any way you decide, it will be so good you won’t want to stop yourself. Thanks Sissy!! xoxoxoxo
- 3 ripe, large avocados
- About ¼ cup chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 2 medium limes
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Habanero chili peppers, finely diced
- Salt to taste
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit, and peel. Slice the avocados into a medium sized bowl.
- Quickly squeeze lime juice over the avocado, then add the garlic, green onion, habanero chilies, and mix gently until the texture is pretty smooth but that a few nice chunks of avocado still remain.
- Add salt to taste.
- Dive in immediately – really, did I have to say that?
- PS: My sis says that if you place an avocado pit into the guacamole, it will stay bright green for hours. I have not tested this since it never lasts that long.