This is one of those salads that you really can make your own – it all depends on what’s crying out to you from your garden in desperate need of picking, or less dramatically – what looks really good at your local farm stand or supermarket. This one takes advantage of the best of summer – fresh green beans, steamed until just tender, sliced cherry tomatoes and grilled corn that has just begun to char and caramelize. Add a few more touches here and there, and whip together a light, creamy lemon and mustard vinaigrette, some tangy blue cheese, and you are good to go. This salad travels well and fits right in at any picnic or barbecue.
I like to start the whole thing by prepping all my veg in advance, then just start putting things together. It’s kind of fun to assemble it on a platter and let everybody scoop up their favorite parts. Corn goes on last – just because. Grill it until just tender, then wait..a little longer….until it’s cool enough to handle without you having to let out a scream. Then, using a very sharp paring knife, just run your blade down the cob and watch all of those little beauties just slide right off. Make sure you butter or oil and salt it before it goes onto the grill – tastes much better that way.
Corn off the cob? As you can see, I like to horse around and arrange it on the platter.
If you want to skip the whole platter thing – no worries. Just toss everything in a bowl and pass the blue cheese!
And let’s not forget some crispy bread and creamy, lemony vinaigrette. I’d say I’m about ready to eat. How about you?
Hope you have fun making this one your own – would love to hear what you did to change it to suit your own style! Thanks so much for reading today. We really appreciate it. xoxoxo
- FOR THE SALAD (Amounts are approximate – use the most of what you have or what you like)
- 10 cups green beans
- 4-5 ears of corn
- 1-2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- Salt to taste
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or large tomatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 3-4 scallions, sliced on the bias
- ½ -3/4 cup sliced roasted red pepper
- Fresh basil leaves (optional, but any fresh herbs added to this would be good)
- About ½-3/4 cup Blue Cheese, sliced or crumbled
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1-cup canola or other neutral oil
- Zest and juice from 2 large lemons
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Agave or honey to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE SALAD
- Beans: Steam until just tender, then ‘shock’ in a bath of cold water to stop the cooking process. When cooled, remove from water and pat dry with paper or clean kitchen towels. Set aside.
- Corn: Shuck and rinse, then brush with oil or melted butter, lightly salt and grill over medium high heat until tender and starting to char. Remove from heat, allow to cool until just warm, and using a sharp paring knife, slice the kernels from the corn. Set aside.
- Get your cherry tomatoes, roasted red pepper and herbs rounded up, and get ready to assemble:
- On a platter, lay down the beans, then arrange the scallions, cherry tomatoes, roasted red pepper and herbs on top. Last but not least, arrange the grilled corn kernels over the top of the salad. Either served blue cheese on the side or crumble over the top. Drizzle on or pass the dressing.
- FOR THE DRESSING
- In a blender, combine the mustard, lemon juice and zest. With blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil and keep blending until a thick emulsion is formed. Add salt and pepper and agave to taste and continue blending until well mixed.